Friday, September 9, 2011

PRAHA. (AKA) Night of the flying egg.

Being the first, and last, day in Prague, we kept ourselves quite occupied. We started off the day with a 3 hour guided walking tour of Prague. From our bus drive in yesterday we were a tad unimpressed with what we had seen and had high hopes that we just hadn’t seen the beautiful part of the city that we have been hearing about for the past three months.
To start off, let me just say- our tour guide was this very nice, but very inattentive, Czech woman. Right from the beginning she would share with us the history of the castle, or opera house, that we were standing by and then turn around and walk swiftly away. Never once did she turn around to make sure all of us were following her, or god forbid, taking pictures and not paying attention to which direction she was going in. Basically, we got lost a good number of times today. It wasn’t until we realized at least 4 girls were not with us at one point did she stop and let us retrace our steps to find them. Turns out, there were way more than 4 people missing from the group. And while I would assume this would freak her out, it instead made her frustrated and from then on walked even faster. Great logic.
We saw so many tourist groups today, it wasn’t even funny. However, it wasn’t the tourists that caught our attention. First, we saw no less than 4 brides just walking around Old Town Square. We even stopped and took pictures of one couple who were letting doves go. Second, there was a crazy guy with a megaphone yelling up and down the street. We were supposed to be following the guide, but out of nowhere this scruffy looking man comes out of an alley screaming something in Czech that we obviously couldn’t understand. I happened to be walking with Carl and Michelle, and we two girls had no problem putting Carl the closest to the gentleman.
I should note I had my first cone of gelato today. Love at first taste.
As I said last night, if there was only one thing we wanted to do in Prague, it was to go to the 5 story dance club. Before we left for the day, everyone got online and reserved a spot for the pub crawl that was ending at this club. After the tour and lunch, as we were walking towards the place we had to pay for the pub crawl, a few of us decided against doing the pub crawl. So a group of 25-40 Gonzaga students stood around in the middle of this town square talking about who was still doing what, and why people were bailing, and in short, being loud. The main thought process of ours was that it was a $35 thing, and while it included unlimited drinks at all 5 pubs, and covered the fee of the club (plus a free tshirt), it was too much to pay for those of us who was in no way going to drink that much money’s worth of alcohol. So we bailed. We decided it would be a better idea to go out to a bar, have a drink, then go to the club on our own.
Once we finally got back to the hotel, all of us were exhausted. I passed out the minute my head the pillow and probably would have stayed there if it wasn’t for Audrey coming back not 20 minutes after me. Then we both passed out and would have slept through dinner, and most likely the rest of the night, had it not been for Michelle and Christina knocking on our door 2 hours later. While at dinner, Michelle and I decided we both were just to beat from traveling and going out previous nights to go to the club.
There are plenty of places to go in Italy, and missing out on one place wasn't going to be the end of the world. So in less than 6 hours we went from going on a pub crawl (with dance club), to bar and dance club, to just bar. A group of just us girls decided to hit up this bar a local had told us about before half of them went the rest of the way to the dance club. We left the hotel around 10:30 and began the trip that will forever be known as – September 9th, Night of the flying egg. As we were walking, very confidently, down the streets of Prague to this bar, Michelle and I were running to catch up with some of the girls in the front of the pack when something hit my right foot. We looked down and what was it? An egg. A raw egg. Thankfully it hit at my ankle so it didn't get on me, but had we not been sketched out before that, we really were then. Michelle and I began panicking because we were the only two (at that point) who weren't going on to the club, and after that we didn't feel at all comfortable walking by ourselves back. We finally made it to the bar, and bless them, they let all 15 of us stay. Most of the places we've been in the last week make us split into two groups, or just out right tell us we have to leave, so it was awesome when this small-ish bar pulled tables together for us.
I should now also note I had my first two Jaggerbombs tonight. Go me (and Gabby). She was also a Jaggerbomb virgin, and we downed those like bosses.
We had the best time. Our group of girls is amazing and for what started out as a possibly bad night, turned into the most fun night so far.
Somewhere throughout the night, Michelle and I gained 3 other girls who decided tonight was just not the night to get our groove thing on. We departed ways with the others and had an un-eventful walk back to the hotel. Thank God.
All in all, Prague was alright. Tomorrow we head to Bad Kohlgrub, Germany with a stop in Nuremberg on the way. We’ve heard it’s a very quaint German hillside town, so it was definitely be a change from these big cities we’ve been exploring the past week.
Oh, and just so you all know, I lost my voice yesterday. I talked in a whisper for a better part of today, and we have decided to refer to when I talk as I’m telling secrets. I've gotten some strange looks, and quite a few laughs, but hey what can you do.
Quick story: In the elevator sometime this afternoon, I was talking to Audrey (in my whisper voice) when these 2 older gentleman got on the elevator with us. We assume they were German. After they got on, we continued our conversation, and the first time I said something they kinda chuckled. No big deal. But when we got off they whispered “Bye bye!” and then laughed. We aren’t entirely sure if they were making fun of me, or being nice? I’m just going to go with nice because it makes me feel better.

Friday, September 9th

No comments:

Post a Comment