Friday, September 16, 2011

Welcome to Florence

The first day of school, oh how lovely it is. Especially when you’re wearing clothes you’ve been wearing for the past 10 days.
I got up and had breakfast with Carl and Joe before we walked to school for our 8:30AM classes. Carl and I had finance, and to my surprise there are actually quite a few people I’m friends with in it. I thought everyone else was in the later one, so I was pleasantly surprised. Finance sounds like it’s not going to be too terrible. Professor Screti is nice so far, and finance in general doesn’t appear to be too difficult. Ask me in a month if I’ve changed my mind.
Between finance and Italian I have an hour break. I decided to hit up the library and get the rest of my books. I didn’t think I was that late, but when I got there at 9:40 the librarian had already run out of Italian 101 books. Oh well. After that I went to the computer lab and enjoyed the nice air conditioning for a bit.
I really have no one in my Italian class. There’s only like 15 of us in the class, and Professor Baltrini is also very nice, so I don’t think it will be terrible. I just wish I had a few people I know in it. I guess I’ll have to make friends, yay.
After Italian got out I was done with classes. We went back to the pensionne for lunch and then ran back to the school an hour later to go to our resident permit meeting. That was crazy. We all had to get our passports copied because the study abroad office in Spokane forgot to send them over. Then we crammed 75 of us into this very hot room at the top of the school to fill out 6 pages of paperwork. Exactly what I wanted to do during the hottest part of the day. Audrey and I were in the first group, so we hung out in the library until the other girls were finished with there’s. I had my interview with the librarian for the library assistant job during this time, and I think it went well. She is only hiring 3 people so my chances are slim, but keep your fingers crossed.
We had made plans with the boys to go to dinner at 8PM. So when it came to be 8PM and none of them had showed up, we decided to walk to Connor’s pensionne to figure out what the plan was. When we got there we found out they had already gone to dinner. Boys. We told them we were going to dinner and if they wanted to come out with us after, they had to find us. Everyone wanted pizza, so we began walking to the doumo. We came across this little place and got 4 pizzas to split. As we were sitting in the square/park eating, the boys showed up. We aren’t entirely sure how they found us, but at least they came.  Of we went in search of a bar, but in Italy a lot of the cafés are called bars so we kept thinking we had found one when it was actually just a sandwich shop. Eventually we came across this restaurant that looked like it had alcohol, so us girls decided to stay there and have a shot of limoncella while the boys went in search of a real bar. It was my first and last time having limoncella. It is an Italian natural lemon liquor and you have to sip it. It is the strongest tasting lemon stuff I’ve ever had. The boys actually listened, and came back. However, they came back early because they couldn’t find a place.  We stayed at the restaurant awhile longer though just because of our waiter. His name was Alam and he is IN LOVE with Allie. We’re pretty sure he was either drunk or on acid, but he made us laugh the entire time that’s for sure. Connor, Gunnar and Gemo got his email address and told him that we would come back tomorrow night with Allie for dinner. He got super excited. It was creepy. Oh, and the table across from us was full of 12 year old Italian boys who kept staring and trying to talk to us. Its nice Erin speaks some Italian, she told them we were too old for them. If only all of you could have seen their faces.
 After we left the restaurant, much to Alam’s dismay, we decided it was just going to be one of those nights and it would be smart to just go home. On our way this guy came up to us and said something. Audrey, hearing he had a British accent, started talking back to him (with her fake English accent). I’m not entirely sure of the thought process, but he told someone there was a bar up the street that has free shots. As we were following this guy, Connor came up to Erin and I and made sure that we knew not to ever do this if we weren’t with all of the guys. Uhh, well duh. We aren’t that dumb. We showed up at this bar, and we instantly realized it was a black bar. Or at least being run by only black people. And we were the only ones there. Apparently only the first shot is free, but they brought it to our table. That sketched us out a bit since we hadn’t seen it made or anything, so no one drank it. After about ten minutes other students started pouring in, and we saw that they were all being handed the same shot we had been given, at the bar. So at that point we made decided it was probably safe and we were just making it way more sketch than it was. After that, the night was a blast. Somehow I came out of the night only paying for one shot… thanks Gemo. We probably would have stayed out later but we had orientation the next morning and thought it best to head home around midnight. The boys walked us back and we walked upstairs and crashed. An excellent first night out in Italy.
Let me rephrase that: an excellent first day in Italy.

Thursday, September 15th

No comments:

Post a Comment